November 30, 2009

Super-Automatic Again. (Cloud exercise.)

We were supposed to take out an old story for this, correct? I don't know, that's what I did at least.

Sarah gazed at the incessantly ringing phone, trembling, her tears dripping down onto his letter. The sound pierced her spinning skull and bore into her brain. She felt the familiar taste of vinegar and vodka lunging at the back of her throat. In a haze, she reached for the phone and collapsed onto the table in the blackened kitchen.

"Hey, what's up?" It was Jessica. Sarah's head began to throb as she collected what little cognition remained.

"Mmhey, Jess..." There was a pause. Sarah's head fell against the phone and she dropped the letter to the floor.

"Is something wrong?"

Silence.

"You weren't at work today. Terri's fucking pissed. We had to call in Clark and everything. ...I'm sure Patrick missed you too." Jessica produced a short, nervous laugh.

"Fuck that. Just tell her to fire me...fucking bitch..." Sarah's mumbling was hardly audible, but Jessica had gotten used to it. She had mastered the art of unscrambling Sarah's drunken slurs.

"Come on. What happened? Can you just tell me?"

"Whathefuck does it matter?" Her speech grew less and less coherent as Sarah drifted farther away.

"Did Bill try and fuck with you again? Is it your dad? What's happening?"

"It's the fucking letter. You should read what that bastard said to me. 'S fucking atrocious."

"Hey, come on. He's an asshole. You gotta stop doing this to yourself."

Sarah erupted into hysterical tears "I know but I just can't stop and it hurts so badly and I fucking hate him but I can't stop with this what am I supposed to do?" Her words came out suddenly and delicately like the string of saliva dripping from her mouth to the table. "He fucking told me he wants Sadie back. She's my dog, you bastard."

Jessica listened to Sarah sob uncontrollably into the phone until she couldn't handle it anymore. "Stop it. I'm coming over. Just unlock the door right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment